Young Leader (14-18 years)
Explorer Scouts aged between 14 to 18 years can become Young Leaders. They can help in the Beaver Scout, Cub Scout, and Scout Sections.
Young Leaders are still Explorer Scouts and are encouraged to take part in other Explorer Scout activities too. They may lead in Beavers, Cubs or Scouts.
Why do Explorer Scouts become Young Leaders?
Explorer Scouts become Young Leaders to:
- Gain the knowledge, skills and confidence required to become an effective Leader
- Further their own personal development
- Work towards other Awards for example Duke of Edinburgh
- Acquire the skills that are needed for the Adult Training Scheme
- Have fun!
Useful links for the Young Leaders Scheme
- Find our more general information on www.scouts.org.uk
- Young Leaders and their old Troop
- DofE volunteering opportunities within Scouting
Calling all Young Leaders!
Are you a Young Leader with a Beaver, Cub or Scout section? Have you completed all your modules? If not, this is the page for you!
We know that even in a pre-pandemic world it can be hard to access Young Leader training in a time & format that works for you. With this in mind we’ve converted all the modules into online, independent learning!
Click on the Module you want to complete below:
Each module features some independent learning (Reading, Examples, Videos etc.) followed by some activities you need to complete and then submit as evidence.
With the exception of Module K: First Aid, all these modules can be completed online!
Remember if you want to complete your Young Leader Award, completing every Module is part of this.
Thank you to Braid & Pentland District for providing such a fantastic online resource (linked to above at youngleadertraining.online)
With a pretty unusual Summer ahead, you may find this is the ideal time for you to crack on with some modules ready to rejoin your groups when they return to face-to-face Scouting. To support this, and also allow us to gather feedback on these online resources, we’re launching the Young Leader Summer Sweepstake!
For every module you complete using the online resources you will earn one entry into a raffle for £75, £50 and £25 to support your Scouting – This could be put towards an international experience, or maybe to treat your Explorer Unit or even the Group you support. There are several ways to earn an entry;
- 1 per Module Completed (Maximum of 10)
- 5 for Joining (& Participating in) a Module A Zoom Session
- 5 for Completing our End of Summer Feedback Survey
- 10 for Joining (& Participating in) a Feedback Zoom Session (13th September)
Submitting Your Modules
You can submit your modules using the google form below.
Please Note: You will need to send the evidence to your Young Leader Leader for them to keep their own record.
We are asking for the evidence to gauge how appropriate the activities are as this is a new resource. We may adjust these based on your feedback after the Summer.