The Yorkshire Challenge
The Yorkshire Challenge Award is a progressive Award first launched in 2006, open to all Cubs, Scouts, Explorer Scouts, Network Scouts and Leaders. The Award is run by Central Yorkshire Scouts, but open to all across the UK.
Spend 4 nights under canvas or in a bivouac. Each of these nights must be in 4 different months – remember this can be spread over any length of time. You must also complete 3 of the 40 challenges.
Gain the Bronze Award, and then camp a further 4 nights in 4 different months bringing your total number of months camped in to 8. Complete a further 5 of the challenges.
Gain the Silver Award and then camp a further 4 nights in the remaining 4 months, i.e. At least one night camped in each month of the year, and a further 8 challenges for the Gold Award.
There is no time limit to any part of this Award, e.g. The Bronze Award does not have to be completed within one period of 12 months.
The Bronze, Silver and Gold Awards form a triangle as shown, and go on the right sleeve of the shirt or blouse below any Group Awards, District & County badges etc.
The list of forty challenges and full rules can be found in the Yorkshire Challenge Record Card (doc), and the challenges are also listed below.
- Camp at 1 degree centigrade or below
- Sleep out above 600 metres
- Camp outside Yorkshire
- Camp on an island other than mainland UK
- Take part in a Patrol Camp
- Spend a night in a bivouac
- Camp at a District / County Camp Site
- Camp at a District event
- Complete an Activity Badge. Award or Challenge
- Camp as part of an expedition
- Take part in a nights-away experience as part of an night hike
- Spend 24hrs with another Pack, Troop, Unit
- Take part in an overseas expedition
- Camp with the Troop for 7 consecutive nights
- Take part in a joint activity with another section
- Stay at another District’s campsite
- Camp at, or below, sea level
- Camp at least 2 metres above ground
- Take part in an activity with another youth movement
- Camp with members of overseas Scouting
- Camp with a friend you wish to introduce to the movement
- Camp in a forest
- Complete a 20Km (12 mile) hike.
- Camp in an unusual place
- Sleep under the stars
- Take part in a District event.
- Take part in another District’s event.
- Wild camp above 500 metres
- Take part in an activity with the section above/below yours.
- Gain a nights away passport / permit and use it.
- Take part in a family camp.
- Complete a Troop challenge.
- Take an active part in a community activity / project.
- Take part in a water activity
- Take part in a Group Act of Worship
- Take part in a Troop fundraising activity
- Get a ‘good news’ story about your Troop / Group in the local newspaper
- Watch the sun rise.
- Plan, cook, serve and clear away a three-course meal for 4 people.
- Take part in a County event.